Friday, April 20, 2012

Summer Maxi Dresses

I don't know about where the rest of ya'll live, but here in LA there's been a serious maxi-dress thing happening lately. I have mixed feelings about maxi dresses for summer...I mean, if it's hot enough outside to wear a strapless or sleeveless dress, isn't it too hot for a long skirt? I love the look of it though...

I also have a huge fondness for those early 70's Hawaiian bark-cloth maxi dresses, probably because my Mom made matching dresses for the two of us to wear when I was a tiny kid. They were purple bark cloth, if I remember right, and we wore them to a Mother/Daughter luncheon at my school. I couldn't have been more than 6 or so!
Anyway, I digress...

Back to the maxi dress thing. There are some amazing dresses on Etsy right now! So colorful and summery looking! I thought I'd share a few of my faves. Enjoy!

                                   What a gorgeous print! From Threadechoes on Etsy

                                          A little Hippie vibe...Etsy seller rockstreetvintage

                                               MoMoDeluxeVintage on Etsy

The cute one above is by Waltah Clarke...one of my favorite vintage designers of Hawaiian & Aloha wear. I'll have to do a post about him later! Great clothes, great story :-) I'll save it for another time...

                                         A slice of juicy orange...from VeriteVintage

                                              Koi fish!!! From MoMoDeluxeVintage

                                         From PassionFlowerVintage on Etsy

I saved the one above for last, because it's my favorite! It's got a tiki print and it's green? It might as well have my name written all over it, hehe. It's really kitschy, but I love it anyway. Look at that fabric!
Hope you all liked these pix...what are your thoughts abut maxi dresses? I'd love to hear!

5 comments:

  1. Love the first one, but I'd probably chop it to knee length. I don't really like maxi dresses, I'm quite short so they are always too long on little me! Its hardly ever warm enough to wear things like this in the UK anyway!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of chopping off...as long as it's not some famous designer label, I think most maxi dresses might make even cuter knee-length dresses!
      If it's any consolation, here in LA right now it's rainy and cold...certainly not maxi dress weather :-)

      Delete
  2. Love the koi fish one.Love the color and the oriental neckline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely dresses, I don't feel like I can pull them off but I'm very tempted to try! Thanks for showing them! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete