Friday, May 25, 2012

Estate Sale FAIL

Usually when I buy vintage items I'm really careful to check them over first, to make sure they're in good shape, but estate sales can be so hectic (with all the other dealers hanging all over you like vultures) and frequently it's also really dark inside the houses. So occasionally I end up buying something that turns out to be a total dog once I get it home and into good lighting. It hasn't happened in a while, so I guess I thought my buying skills were improving...think again!

Example:  take these lovely gloves...you can't see it in the pic, but they are covered with elaborate beading. Really beautiful!


Here's what happened when I went to slip my hand in:


Aaaaarrrrggghhhhh! Ka-BLAM!! That puppy blew apart like it was made of tissue paper. Sad face.

I'd never had that happen with a pair of gloves! I think it's funny the way that, just when you think you've got it all figured out, guess what? You don't! Oh well, live & learn, right?

Oh, and , yes...that's me. I figured I'd set the bar low and show myself for the first time sans makeup, uncurled hair, crummy clothes. That way I have nowhere to go but up! :-)

8 comments:

  1. Oh wow! That's a first for me too! I did buy a pair of mod 60's boots once and resold them on eBay. They seemed completely fine but when the buyer put them on, the soles immediately separated from the shoes! Her feet went straight through like your hand did here. That's a drag about those gloves. Uggh. And I think you look pretty! You'll have to try harder to set that bar low.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bummer! It's totally happened to me too. I bought this really cool jacket at Sal. Army and when I washed it, it completely fell to pieces. I was SO glad I decided to wash it before listing it for sale. Then I ran across the tag in the washer... it said hand wash only. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying really hard to keep any black glove comments to myself!
    You look beautiful as always cuz! Xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh? I guess I'm slow...what are "black glove comments?" I'm imagining something kinky ;-)

      Delete
  4. Aww such a shame about the gloves.All beaded looked gorgeous. have never been to an estate sale.:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Serious wardrobe malfunction! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You still look gorgeous! Oh no that's such a shame! XxxX http://thesecondhandrose.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete