Monday, October 22, 2012

Alfred Shaheen Exhibit!!

In yesterday's L.A Times, the Travel section was all about Hawaii...one of my favorite places. As I've been hoping to go again soon, I was really excited, but then I opened up the paper and was so thrilled to see this!!


Recognize that dashing man? It's Alfred Shaheen!
The Times reports that there is a big exhibition and retrospective of his work coming up, at the Bishop Museum in Honolulu, Hawaii, from November 10th, 2012 to February 4th, 2013.

Here's a link to the LA Times article by Catherine Hamm

Here's a link to the museum's website

I'm sure the exhibit will be incredible.

original Shaheen ad from California Stylist magazine

I'm dying to go...I might just be able to swing it! The hubby and I were actually thinking of going to Maui, but not Oahu. We could, however, fly into Honolulu, cab it over to the museum, see the exhibit, and then go on to Maui....hmmmm *gears turning*

Are any of you lovely readers thinking of going? Maybe I'll see you there!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Wish I could see it. I sold a Shaheen dress to his daughter and now I'm wondering if it's going to be in the exhibit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be! Something I read said that the items in the show were from her collection. I actually chatted with her via email a while back and she said it was getting too hard to collect her Dad's work, because the prices were getting so high. I feel for her! You know, I was at the Vintage Expo in Santa Monica on Sunday, and I saw a vendor that had a rack of Shaheen sundresses marked at $780 !!!! Each!! Yeah, they were deadstock, and they were cute, but $780? Ridiculous, IMHO.

      Delete
  2. ACK! $780! ACK! House payment! Or, at least, part of a house a payment.

    I love the vintage show, but I hardly buy anything anymore. Not because I don't want to, but because everything's gone up in price. The Other Wendy and I have been going to the Expo for so long (over twenty years) that now it's more of a social event for us than a buying extravaganza.

    ReplyDelete